Company Registration

Everything you need to know about starting and running, including how to nominate directors and shareholders.

Will I require any other licenses or qualifications to trade?

It is very important that you comply with the rules and regulations for trading in your particular field.

If you are a tradesperson you can review the requisite qualifications and licenses here.

Alternatively, the Australian Business Licence and Information Service is a good site to visit to check requirements specific to your industry.

There are often licences and registrations for acts and services you may not consider. An example is if you intend to play background music in your retail store, gym, restaurant, hotel, school, website etc. you may require a Background Music Licence issued by the Australasian Performing Right Association.

As an employer, it is essential that you are aware of your obligations in hiring, managing and retrenching staff members. You will need to consider employment standards, leave entitlements, maximum weekly hours. Visiting the website of the Fair Work Ombudsman is a great starting point for general information.

Compliance with occupational health and safety standards is mandatory in any work environment. Where it comes to the commission of manual tasks there is logistically more room for error and accident. Aside from Safe Work Australia, there are many other documents you can use to gather optimal information including the National Standard for Manual Tasks produced by the Australian Safety and Compensation Council.

This information is of a general nature only and does not constitute professional advice. You must seek professional advice in relation to your particular circumstances before acting.

Updated — Sep 14, 2015

Ready to start your company?

Start your company, today.