This is definitely possible, provided you follow these instructions:
- Enter your preferred company name into the name selection toolbar.
- To prove that the trust holds the business name, enter the attached ABN/State business number where asked.
- Include the details of the primary trustee* as a director or shareholder in the ‘company entities’ section.
- At the bottom of the screen answer ‘yes’ that the shares will be held on behalf of a trust and enter the name of the trust in the text box that appears.
- ASIC will require a copy of the trust schedule to be presented to them to verify that you are in fact the trustee of the trust currently holding the business name.
- You can email this through to firstname.lastname@example.org with a brief explanation of the situation (i.e. wanting to use the business name registered to the trust for a new company).
- Alternatively, you can email the trust schedule to email@example.com and we will liaise with ASIC on your behalf.
* If there are several trustees you need only select one
This information is of a general nature only and does not constitute professional advice. You must seek professional advice in relation to your particular circumstances before acting.
Updated — Nov 29, 2015