ASIC has restricted the use of certain words and phrases, in company names. Names which include the following will not be registered or may be marked for manual review.
- A name that is undesirable or likely to be offensive
- Any word that includes ‘Commonwealth’, ‘Federal’, ‘Crown’ or ‘Government’
- Words that are misleading such as ‘University’, ‘Trust, or ‘Chartered, or are similar
- Names that are identical to existing business name
- Or names or words that are not on ASCOT or the Macquarie dictionary
You can check the availability of a company name, and any possible restrictions, on our Homepage.
All information provided on this webpage is general information about our products and services. Nothing on this webpage is intended to be professional advice of any kind and should not be relied on as such. You should obtain specific financial, legal or other professional advice before relying on the content of this webpage. By not seeking such advice, you accept the risk that the information on this webpage may not meet the specific needs of your business. Our liability is limited to the maximum extent permitted by applicable law in accordance with our website terms and conditions.
Updated — Jun 4, 2018